Fall

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Our Thanksgiving trip to Mississippi

We're home from a wonderful Mississippi Thanksgiving! Having made it home in great time, I decided to blog tonight. It will be a busy week!













On Thursday Gracie and I cooked off and on all day and the family enjoyed a meal that (we think) would make our grandmother, Dobbie, very proud. Turkey, mom's dressing, pies, corn pudding, sweet potatoes and of course, it included stuffed prunes. Trust me, they're good and they've now reached at least the 4th generation of Thanksgiving celebrants.


















Friday and Saturday were full of fun, play and cousin bonding. Lots of love, lots of hugs and with three little girls, LOTS of baby dolls!

















We visited a fish hatchery that is run by the state of Mississippi which the kids loved and we adults found it very interesting, too!

















Here's the hostess with the mostest, accompanied by our frequent kitchen visitors. Hannah and Clara became really good buddies, even though Hannah pronounced Clara's name something like "Guy."





Good talks, uncle to nephew. Something about wrestling, football and take downs, I believe.





Lots of rest, just as vacation should be. This is Abigail (who rarely naps at home anymore) with Rosebush (who did NOT trust my kids, when they were awake). So cozy!




We considered the sweet Mississippi weather and it was tempting to stick around. The kids were riding bikes in the driveway, wearing only light jackets. On Saturday, it was 70 degrees! Andy and I soaked up the sunshine and the kids loved it, too.



Pure joy! We have so very much to be thankful for!




Nothing beats "Happy Thanksgiving, Charlie Brown!"











4 comments:

Keith said...

Looks like loads of fun. Wish we could have been there. Glad to see the familiar prunes, but I'm disappointed that we've let the oysters go by the wayside. And the mince meat. Well, then again, not everything should last through the years.

Grace Halsey said...

Those are some great pictures! I think you pretty much captured it--except, of course, the coon hunting evening! Although, maybe it's not worth mentioning since they didn't actually catch one!

Polk said...

The pictures are great!! I love Clara's new no bangs look. Were Abbs and Clara holding a doll or was that Cupcake? Glad the kids had fun together. How did Ben hold up with all those girls?

Grace Halsey said...

Benji held up pretty well, considering all of the dolls. His favorite part of the weekend was climbing up into the rocket in our neighbor's backyard that was cleaned in anticipation of visitors. I'll see if I can find a picture of that. And yes, that's Hannah Kay on a rare moment of cuddling with the big girls. She usually had a mind of her own and didn't want to seem little!