Fall

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Happy 1st Birthday Hannah!

Hannah Kay Bridges is one year old! She is a daily ray of sunshine in our lives and while we once wondered how life would be different with two children, we now can't imagine life without her. Over the weekend we had a fun party to celebrate with family and a few friends. Here are the highlights, plus a few pictures that I just like and wanted you all to see:


Our sweet little 'Cupcake.' As you'll see below, cupcakes were the theme of the party. I love this picture because I think it really looks like her. You know? It really looks like she does everyday and that sweet little face and blonde hair and blue eyes just embody cuteness. No, I'm not biased. Why do you ask?
Hannah has frequent conversations with the cat, Bonnie. She calls him "Ack" which we think sounds pretty close to "Cat." For awhile she called him Dog but we've recently cleared up that misunderstanding. She LOVES animals and squeals with excitement when she sees them.

Let the gift opening begin! You can see that Hannah and I had plenty of help.

Dinner was sloppy joes, pork bbq, cauliflower salad (Andy's mom brought), chips and pretzels. Hannah isn't ready for sloppy joes just yet, so she had part of a hot dog and some peas. I love the hair clip but it didn't stay in very well.




The toy that Andy and I got her. She has played with it a lot since the party, much more than I had imagined she would. Naturally, Abby likes it too. So far, no major arguments.



Who would have guessed that the first week in March would bring us 70 degree weather and such a nice day for the kids to play outside?





Cupcakes, decorated with help from my friend Jennifer, an experienced user of rolled fondant. I got some practice and learned a lot. Without her help I never would have attempted this. It was fun though, and I'm sure I'll be doing it again sometime.


Blowing out her candle! You might think she was totally oblivious to the candle and that Daddy really blew it out, but that wouldn't be true at all...wink, wink!


Getting ready to cut the cakes, please pay no attention to our messy refrigerator in the background. That artwork could really be worth something someday if the artist should ever become famous. The girls' shirts have cupcakes on them, too. I wish you could see them in this picture!



Time to smash the cake! Why do we do this? Who came up with this idea? The baby has no idea what we expect them to do and then the poor child tries to find their way through the mess while we all point and laugh. Oh well, we're just here to take part in family traditions and in our family, the baby smashes a cake. Hannah liked the cake, once she realized that she was supposed to eat it!


That didn't last long, time to take away the sippy and cake and head for the bathtub.


A few first birthday stats: 18.25 pounds, 8 teeth, size 3 feet. Crawling fast and pulling up some. First word, Dada (sometimes Daddy), next was Dog and then the aforementioned Cat/Ack.

Happy Birthday Hannah!!






6 comments:

Keith said...

Hot dog, peas, and cake, now that's Uncle Keith's kind of diet. I also liked the cake smashing technique with the sippy cup.
Those first birthday stats were funny. I'll be sure to show them to her prom date.

Grace Halsey said...

How fun!!! I love how the cakes turned out! The cupcake theme is really cute and so appropriate. :) What a sweet girl!

Anonymous said...

Note to self...
Take off shirt before cupcake-smashing.
Very smart!

Anonymous said...

The pictures are great, especialy the first one. She looks like a little angel. I'm going to have to find the picture of Uncle Keith smashing his chocolate cup cakes. It's too bad he can't be on hand to give all the toddlers smashing tips.

Abby Engle said...

She is precious! I think she looks a lot like her Mommy! And why is it they always say Dada first??? No fair!! :)

Anonymous said...

From one cupcake to another I sure am glad she had a great birthday. Wish we could have been there!!!!

K & K Cafe