Sometime on Monday, Clara developed a "grovelly" cough. I didn't hear it much, just every now and then, and it was accompanied by no other symptoms. So, I gave her a dose of Robitussin before bed and figured she was fine. The cough appeared here and there yesterday, but again, no other symptoms and it didn't get worse, so she had two more doses of Robitussin during the day and went to bed at her normal time.
At midnight last night, Clara came into our room coughing uncontrollably and gasping for air. She was crying and really struggling to breathe. We did everything we could think of to settle her down--giving her water to drink, holding and soothing her, even letting her breathe the cold air from the freezer and finally (after about 5 minutes) putting Vaporub on her chest and sitting in the bathroom with the hot shower running for about 20 minutes did the trick. She settled down and wanted to go back to bed. Even though there was no fever, I decided to lay down with her just to make sure she could still breathe. She immediately went to sleep and I dozed a bit as I listened.
Two hours later, she jolted up in bed, again coughing and gasping for air and this time extremely hot. I rushed to get her Motrin and Andy took her to the emergency room here in town. When she got there, her temperature was 103.4 (I still can't believe it elevated that fast). Andy said she was very brave as they drew blood and administered cold cloths to get her fever down. When the doctor arrived, he said it was most likely a type of coughing virus. They returned home a little after 4am with a fever of 100. She was very relaxed and told me everything that happened. Andy said that the nurse started to look relieved when Clara began talking nonstop (that's our girl!).
This morning, she is very pale and coughing a little, but not nearly as bad as last night. She does not have a fever and is taking an antibiotic, a steroid, Motrin, Tylenol and Robitussin and is very disappointed that her pool date with Libby (for tomorrow) has to be postponed.
Please pray that God would grant her a full recovery soon and that Benjamin would not get sick!
5 comments:
You guys must've been very worried! I'm so glad everything turned out okay! We haven't made the obligatory ER trip yet, but I'm sure it's coming, and I just hope I can stay calm, cool and collected. My mother-in-law says she spent so much time at the ER with her 3 boys that the ER nurses and her were on a first-name basis. Oh the roller coaster ride that is parenthood! Praying for Clara's quick recovery and that Ben doesn't catch it!
Poor Clara! Please hug her for Aunt Ruthie. I hope she's feeling better soon and noone else catches it.
Wow, what a night. Glad she's feeling better, and hope it's not contagious.
That sounds so scary. I am glad she is doing better. My prayers are with you.
Ok. I've missed out on a lot with your family the past couple of years. SO GLAD we are in better touch now!
Post a Comment