Last Saturday night was the opening concert of the 2009-10 season for the Mississippi Symphony Orchestra and marked the beginning of my 7th season with them! I have really enjoyed the years I've played in this group. The quality of musicianship develops each year and it is a joy to play with these friends from around the world. Since we've moved to Charleston (about a 2 hour drive from Jackson, home of the MSO), I continue to play with the symphony 5 or 6 times a season--almost all the concerts that require harp. Last weekend's concert was especially fun because I played the entire first half of the concert (FYI: harpists rarely play entire orchestra concerts and often sit counting endless measures while listening to everyone else play) and really enjoyed the music: Strauss's Don Juan, Wagner's Overture to The Flying Dutchman and Mahler's song for alto soloist, winds, timpani & harp, Un Mitternacht.
Not only is it fun for me to travel to Jackson for symphony rehearsals and concerts, Andy and the kids also look forward to their time in the "big city." We still have friends there from seminary days and it's always nice to do the shopping and eating out that we don't do when we're at home. Benji especially appreciates our tradition of drinking hot chocolate in our hotel room! The kids haven't attended a concert yet (they'll probably attend the Pops concert in October), but they do enjoy the dress rehearsals.
Stage hands hiding backstage
4 comments:
It's been a long time since we've seen photos of your professional setting, "enjoyed it!" I think it's neat that the kids get to see it all up close and personal.
That is a tough program! You are so awesome!
Nice going! I'd love to hear some commentary and analysis from those 'stage hands.'
Grace, you are so talented! I love how you are able to balance your pursuits of the talents God has given you with your roles of wife and mother, which He has also given you. Love, Katie
Post a Comment