Though we've planned on getting a pony or two for quite awhile, we didn't expect to be getting one this week. A good friend of ours (the contractor who built our house and lives a couple of miles away) is in his seventies and a grandpa type to everyone. He has always had horses and has been on the lookout for a good pony, knowing Abigail really wanted one. Friday afternoon I was halfway home when Andy called to tell me he was at our friend's house, looking at a pony. Sure enough, by the time the girls and I got home, the pony was at home in our pasture.
I had only told Abigail that Daddy had a surprise for her and incidentally, the babysitter told me how Abigail had mentioned to her how she so wanted to have a pony. When we pulled up I asked the girls if they saw anything new in the pasture and Abigail said, "A horse???" and immediately, "My pony, my pony, is that my pony!!!???!!!"
By Sunday we decided that Roxanne had had enough settling in time and it was time to find out what she really knew. And well, she's pretty green. She's fairly lazy (great for kids) and she's a quick learner. Not much frightens her, which is great. She is happy to be led and she isn't worried by kids making noise. Andy and I fully expect to be working with her this summer, but that's one reason we wanted to find a pony that was big enough to carry me. Andy had a pony as a kid but as adults, we don't have pony training experience. So, we'll do some ground training and I'll do some riding and we think Roxanne will work out just fine for the girls.
We can't wait for everyone to meet her!
5 comments:
Congratulations Abigail!! Roxanne is a very lucky pony to get adopted by the Bridges family. I know all of you will spend many happy hours together and the girls will many fond memories!!
I love that last picture of Abby. What a happy girl! It sounds like you have a great addition to the family and we can't wait to meet her. Did you all name her Roxanne, or did she already have that name?
Her previous owners called her 'Roxy' but Abigail wanted something longer and was calling her 'Roxers' and 'Roxygirl' and other longer variations. I suggested Roxanne and she was hooked on it immediately. If one of us does call her Roxy, she usually reminds us that the name is RoxANNE! Personally, I think it's a very funny name for a horse but that's part of the fun, right?
Terrific addition to the Bridges' estate!
She is adorable!! I love the expression on Abigail's face, when she is pictured with her!!!
Love,
"Pops"
Looks great! Can't wait to see her in person.
Post a Comment