In classic moving tradition, what we bargained for, and what ended up in the truck were two vastly different things. I expected a bed, chest of drawers and a few boxes. In the end, it was nearly full. (Of course Ms. K. will let you know loud and clear that my packing skills left quite a bit to be desired. That’s debatable, of course.)
There were several treasures we found along the way, such as the ancient laundry detergent bucket of golf balls, multiple dozen plastic souvenir cups (we kept the best quality) and, of course, the old Green and White hockey/duffel bag, a Farner family treasure for more than 20 years.
We formed a pretty good team as we divided and conquered the apartment, making several trips to the dumpster, and many more to the truck. Kristi cleaned the kitchen while I braved the bathroom. By the time we turned in the keys to the leasing office, it had been two and a half hours.
So it was time for some sweet tea, a Po Boy sandwich, and a club sandwich complete with fried green tomatoes. I figured we couldn’t leave the Electric City without a trip to my favorite ice cream spot, Bruster’s, for my trademark orange sherbet in a waffle cone.
This completed a whirlwind week (come to think of it, I don’t think we’ve had a boring one in a year and a half) in which we secured the wedding organist (Kristi’s grandmother, Pat) and I became an official/legal resident of the state of Georgia.
3 comments:
Oh, moving is no fun, glad that's over. Your apt complex in Anderson was so nice, but we can't wait to see your new digs in Athens! At least, what WILL be your new digs ;-)
And I'm sure those new digs will have a different decor and probably not include the bucket of golf balls (at least not inside), though maybe the "green & white" can stick around for old times sake. You guys make a good team! And I love how you hit your favorite spots together before you left town. So many good memories there!!!
Wow! I was a little sad to see the moving pictures as I remember so well the day you moved in there. We have lots of fond memories of visiting Anderson, eating the local fare and going to football games in the upstate. Glad Kristi was with you to help as well as offer moral support!!
Post a Comment