Fall

Friday, April 18, 2008

We felt the earthquake!

Occasionally, really neat things happen in the middle of the night or wee hours of the morning. Maybe someday I'll thank Abigail for wakening me to experience so many of them. Maybe. Anyway, I digress.
Abigail woke up last night around 1am with a stomach bug and you can imagine the fun that brought to our sleepy home. All of us were up and down all night and around 5:15 I decided to just try to sleep some while Abby and I rocked. So, I was a little drowsy, to say the least, ten minutes or so later when the earthquake happened. My first thought was "What are the dogs barking so frantically at?" I didn't actually feel the house move but the noise was very strange. It was almost dreamlike, especially since I was trying to sleep. I thought for sure that someone was trying to break into our house! I remember thinking that the house was moving but realizing that would surely be impossible. Next I got up to look out the window and saw nothing and I was headed to wake Andy up when everything stopped.
The whole event lasted 10-15 seconds and after it I went right back to sleep. Honestly, this morning when I woke up I just assumed that it had all been a dream. Until, I saw the news and received an email from a coworker about registering your earthquake experience with the U.S. Geological Survey. That's when I realized that it wasn't a dream and other people had also felt this. The wonderful thing is, no one was hurt (that I've heard of) but it was a really cool thing to experience!

3 comments:

Grace Halsey said...

Wow! That is big news! We were wondering about you all and glad everyone is fine. No tremors down here...:)

Anonymous said...

awwww I hope Abby's better now. Hope Hannah or ya'll don't get it =[
We never felt the earth quake though we were dead asleep haha.
It's really neat that you felt it though! I will see you tomorrow!
~Kayla

Anonymous said...

Hey Laura,
Hey you need to write me an email! I have lots of pictures to send you of Abigail! And I never email anyone then again I don't know anyone haha
So send me an email I would love to talk to you!
my website is
kayla-marie-93.blogspot.com
and my email is (if you write i would prefer it to my email)
is kross9293@gmail.com
Thanks!
Kayla Marie