Fall

Monday, August 3, 2009

Near Perfect Weekend

While my siblings were touring Atlanta, which I'm sure one or both of them will post about, my little family and I were very content at home. For the first time in a long time, we had a weekend of no obligations and we enjoyed it so much! I didn't even need to do any major grocery shopping!

Friday night we headed to Franklin to eat at our favorite little Mexican place. We all love the food and we almost always run into or go with Sharon & Larry or some other friends of ours. As we were walking in we saw Sharon, Larry and cousin Gavin drive up! So of course, we all ate together. Sharon and I indulged in some of the best margaritas I've ever had..mmm mmm! After supper, Gavin was very excited to go see the tractors so naturally, we went along. All of us drove to the John Deere dealership that is close by and let the kids climb on the riding mowers and tractors for 10 or 15 minutes. Then we headed home for bedtime.

Saturday we woke up and our sweet girls were so happy and cooperative as I picked all of the green beans. While I picked they moved from watching kitties to playing in the sandbox and eventually (at their request) sitting in carseats, listening to music in the car for a few minutes!
That afternoon I made zucchini bread, the girls rested and Andy had the beagles out for a run. Then we went to see the Rogers and their new little baby boy! He is so sweet and I got to hold him for quite a while. Once we got home we made a delicious supper and then a couple of guys Andy used to work with stopped by to visit.

Sunday morning we went to church as usual, but there was a visiting pastor. She was a very good speaker, we enjoyed the message and she had a wonderful singing voice! Always a treat in a small church, I think. Then, Andy spontaneously decided that we'd have lunch out and I chose Benjamin's as our destination. I love their "tomato flower" that is filled with chicken or tuna salad. In town, the square was blocked off for a go cart race. Who knew?! Those little things fly by and the girls really liked watching them.

After we got home it was time for Aunt Evelyn to come, she's my green bean helper every summer. As she says, older people can't do some things (she's 90) but she's still good at 'sittin' jobs.' So, we broke, washed and canned green beans all afternoon. Abigail and Hannah help with the beans everytime. Then we went outside to play and later had another nice supper at home. The weather was a little cool but really sunny and nice.

That's it. Nothing special, just ordinary time at home. Honestly, we think it's about the best way to spend a weekend. Oh, and the things that kept it from being totally perfect: Hannah's eye teeth coming in (still) and the transition to the girls sharing a room (but that's a whole other post!).

2 comments:

Polk said...

Sounds like a perfect weekend to me. What's the current count on green beans?

Grace Halsey said...

What a nice weekend! I like the girls' choice of sitting in car seats listening to music. :) Can't wait to try your green beans!