The weeks leading up to Christmas were filled with all the preparations for celebrating Christ's birth, both at church and at home. We baked, wrapped, visited, etc. etc. until two of us got the flu and then, things began falling by the wayside. Namely practicing and cleaning. Anyway, all of us were relieved when the big day finally came and Andy's parents were here to celebrate with us and no one was contagious anymore!
Christmas Dinner
(Benji is starting with the napkin ring appetizer)
We had our traditional candlelight service on Christmas Eve and I played all the music on my harp. After bringing it home, I left it covered and forgot about it as we all enjoyed Christmas together. During Christmas dinner, we heard a loud WHUMP from somewhere in the back of the house. It wasn't until after dinner, as I attempted making homemade eggnog, that Andy called me back to see what he had found.
The evidence
Rosebush, our cat, had snuck into the back room where the harp was and climbed the covered harp, knocking it against the wall. The neck was broken in two places and a panel in the back was knocked in as well. I hung my head and cried.
While contemplating remedies for our situation (including taxidermy), we directed our thoughts toward the exciting occasion of THE WEDDING right around the corner. The Uncle of the Year 2010 and the Aunt of the Year 2010 were to be wed in a matter of days! So, we packed our bags (and Harp #2) and headed to Georgia.

Cousins dressed in their wedding finery
(Much more on the wonderful wedding will follow, I am sure, but at least one picture had to make it in this report.)
Our family returned to Mississippi the evening after the wedding (Friday, New Year's Eve). The next morning, Andy's parents, who had been vacationing on the Gulf Coast, and the kids and I began our journey to Chicago--the birthplace and, now hospital, of my harp. It took us two days of driving, but we made it when they reopened after the holidays on Monday morning.
Clara in awe amidst the 55 brand new harps in the Lyon & Healy showroom
If you asked Benji what his favorite part of the harp factory was, he'd say the trains and cranes (that surrounded the building), but he thought this mini-harp was pretty cool, too.
The folks at Lyon & Healy were extremely helpful and were able to send me home with a rental harp (same model as mine) and said that the repairs (a long list, but the biggest part is an entire new neck) would be done in 3-4 months. I am SO thankful for harp insurance!
After the hard part was done, we ventured to Michigan Ave. for lunch at The Cheesecake Factory and a stop at The American Girl Place (Clara is the proud owner of two of these dolls and had saved up some spending money for a few accessories).
Then, we drove a couple more hours and made it to Andy's parents' farm in northern Indiana to spend the night and a few hours the next day.
Clara and Gramma, our lunch hostesses
Training for the Olympic "Ice Chunk Toss"
And, on Tuesday, after lunch, we drove to the Bridges Farm to hang out and do some wedding "debriefing" with the cousins. And, of course, spend a night in their cozy guest quarters.
Couched Cousins at 6:15 a.m. (or, as Benji said, "in the middle of the night!")
All that remained was to finish the trek home--10 hours in the car with one driver. I figured we'd need several good stops, and it seemed like a good time to take the kids by Dobbie's house (our maternal grandmother) in Elizabethtown, Ky. This was their first time to see it and I hadn't been there in about seven years. It was hard to see all the changes that had been made, but I wanted to get their picture there anyway. We have so many fond memories of being there with Dobbie and those will always remain, even if the house itself has lost some of its charm.
On the steps of 424 W. Dixie Hwy. Elizabethtown, Ky
My discouragement was soon abated as we drove towards downtown (on our way home) and I noticed something new out of the corner of my eye. Just across from the old movie theater, was a new display of nine large paintings honoring important local historical figures. Among these was Abraham Lincoln, whose birthplace is nearby. And just a few paintings down, was one of my grandfather! I never met Grandpa Doc since he passed away when my mom was still in college, but had heard a lot about him and knew of his significance to the town. We quickly pulled over to get a closer look, and some pictures.


Clara and Benjamin next to the painting honoring their great grandfather
3 comments:
Well, I never thought you'd get a post up so soon! After all of the driving, I know you're all glad to be home. We enjoyed your visit and look forward to another one, soon! The painting of Grampa Doc makes me feel so proud, my heart could burst. Dobbie, always his biggest fan, is surely smiling with him in heaven. On our next trip south we will certainly be stopping to see it.
Gracie, thanks for the interesting and informative post. The picture looks EXACTLY like Daddy!! The artist is Mary Lou (Moser) Hall. Her parents were Grummie's neighbor and gave her rides to church regularly. Her husband is Dr. Larry Hall who Daddy delivered and I believe credits Daddy with getting into U of L Med School. She took art lessons from Mrs. Taylor. Thanks for sharing.
Dear Mom,
Thanks for all the background information! I thought you might know the artist. I'm so glad you enjoyed seeing it--you'll have to stop by sometime & see it in person! It was really good to see you all at the wedding and catch up a little.
Love,
Gracie
Post a Comment