Fall

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Honeymoon Part 1 - Las Vegas














































































Our honeymoon started off with some adventure.

We were delayed four hours out of the Athens airport because of ... a light bulb. Yes, that's the best answer they gave us. That forced us to miss our flight from Atlanta to Las Vegas, and the next flight. But we somehow managed to be No. 1 and 2 on a 28-person standby list.

After more delays checking in at The Venetian, we finally arrived in time to see the fireworks on New Year's Eve.

Our suite was great. A king size bed, wrap around couch, TV in the bathroom, everything you need.

New Year's Day we began at the Caesar's Palace Champagne Brunch, and stuffed ourselves on everything from sushi to donuts, with champagne and mimosas.

Then we did a loop around the strip touring all the hotels, and stopped at the sportsbooks and penny slot machines. I was lucky enough to hit on Wisconsin, Stanford and got an Auburn push to make The Venetian and Mirage sportsbooks a little lighter in their coffers. Kristi was a champ at the penny slots, winning all but one turn. We tried craps and roulette, but they just weren't as fun.

One memorable afternoon was at New York, New York, where we bet on the horses at Santa Anita. Kristi was excited and proud to win on a horse named "Miss Peanut," a hat tip to the state of Georgia.

The highlight of the trip - and perhaps the entire honeymoon - was our night helicopter tour over The Strip. I don't think I've seen Kristi that excited more than one or two other times. My shoulder may still be bruised from her punching excitement. We dressed up, and had champagne in the lobby of the helicopter to make it a big night.

Finally, we enjoyed a Gondola ride through the Shoppes of the Venetian. I was glad that we got an authentic Gondola driver, a big-bellied olive-skinned baritone. We rode with a couple from Alberta, Canada, and it was cool to float under the giant ceilings.

It was a great way to start our honeymoon. The time change was nice to relax and catch up on sleep, and the glitz and commotion of the casinos were really exciting. (I'm already brainstorming on a guys' trip to camp out at the sportsbooks.)

3 comments:

Polk said...

Wow! You've really been busy with these posts. I'm glad I've been to Las Vegas so I could identify all these photos. Glad you included the food pics---- wouldn't be a bonnet post without them!!

Laura Bridges said...

It is so fun to see you two in places we have been to! I'm glad that despite all of the delays, you all were able to rest and recharge on your trip.

Grace Halsey said...

It all sounded very exciting! Thanks for giving us a first-hand look at all the sights. You guys know how to have an adventure!