Fall

Monday, February 7, 2011

Southern Snow Fun

This post is for all you Hoosiers who are in the middle of a long, cold winter full of ice and snow. I thought you'd enjoy seeing a glimpse of the excitement that snow brings to the southern states! About a month ago, a few inches of snow fell on a Monday (preceded by some freezing rain the night before). Due to the lack of resources to prepare for such weather, our entire town closed for the day. Schools were out for three days making it a holiday equal in length to Easter or Thanksgiving!

After throwing some snowballs at each other around our yard, the kids and I decided to head out to the Country Club where we knew people would be gathered for sledding. I called Andy at the office to see if he'd come along for a little while since this was such a special occasion. Upon arriving at the club, we noticed that there were as many dads there as moms and kids because everybody had taken off work!

Below are some pictures of our fun. I regret that I didn't get any pictures of the gaggle of grandmothers that came as (mostly) spectators. They were decked out in fur coats and beautiful scarves, hats and sunglasses! One of them even went down the hill on a sled that her children used decades ago. She already had cool points with us because she plays the fiddle in our band!


Above, you can see that we Mississippians sled in style--
that's a loveseat on a wooden platform tied by a rope to a 4 wheeler.


If you don't have a sled, modify what you do have.


We were thankful for the 4 wheelers that carried us up the hill after our rides.


The guys huddle together on a traditional sled


Clara about to go down the hill in Libby's inner tube
that one of her grandmother's gave her for Christmas just in case they ever had a big snow!


2 comments:

Laura Bridges said...

I'm so glad you all got a little to play in! That's how it should be, not this three month endurance we're currently working on. Ugh.
Anyway, I'm laughing out loud as I picture the grandmothers!

Polk said...

Be nice to grandmothers! I would have been out there too but not in a fur coat. I'm surprised people in Mississippi own fur coats. Glad you had fun.