Fall

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Three Busy Years

There's nothing in the world like being a parent, especially to make you realize just how fast time flies. Three years ago, we brought this little bundle home from the hospital. It seems impossible to Andy and I that it's been that long. Yet, we have a very busy little person running around the house to remind us that she's now sleeping all night, potty trained, going to preschool and talking nearly nonstop. So three years must be about right!


This year was the first year that Hannah realized what her birthday was all about. She planned ahead for a birthday she would love to celebrate! Her actual birthday (March 4th) was Friday, so on Thursday we took cupcakes to preschool. There, she wore a paper birthday crown and was thrilled to be the birthday girl among all of her peers. She first wanted pink cupcakes, then changed her mind to green (her current favorite color) and finally white. I added some pink sprinkles for good measure.
When we got home on Thursday, we found a package from Halseys. Every piece of it was met with a grin and "Weeee!" As soon as the paper had all been torn off, she pulled her boots on and ran out the door to blow bubbles. It might have been 50 degrees that day and the sun was sinking fast but Hannah blew those bubbles for all she was worth. There were three tubes and she even shared one with her big sister, with no prompting from us (yay!)

This time last year she could not figure out how to blow hard enough to produce a bubble. See how much changes in a year?!



All gone!




On Friday afternoon it was time to fulfill the one and only birthday request...a shopping trip to Imagination Station! For a few months now, Hannah has informed me as we've driven past the small toy store in Franklin, "That's where I'm going for my birthday!" So, we didn't buy her any gifts, but took her shopping and this is what she chose:


To say that it's been a hit so far would be the understatement of the last three years! Both girls and every cousin under the 80lb weight limit have bounced and bounced and bounced. Since the weather continues to be pretty dreary a good part of the time around here, the little trampoline arrived at the perfect time.




Saturday was party day! Which means, it was a very full day. The birthday girl was up at 5:30 and back down for a nap around 9. Andy and I cleaned the house, assembled the trampoline and prepped for the party and by 2pm when I was just about wiped out, it was time to decorate the cake...which happens to be one of my favorite parts of the day. The girls love this tradition because they get to choose the design of their cake for each birthday. I've got a lot to learn and didn't do the cake as originally planned, but Hannah and Abigail loved helping with the decor. Halfway through the frosting, I decided that a second nap for Hannah was inevitable. Here she is before she melted down:




The best comment she made (post nap) was, "Look what's in the middle! A number three!" Um, maybe I spent too much time on the turrets if all that really impressed her was the 3.




She loved every single gift...adorable outfits, two Barbies, shopping money and a tricycle. A princess night gown was put on immediately!








And she loved having all of her older cousins to play with. It was a fun party and a big day. I still can't believe she's three!


Just before bedtime, I insisted that the overtired and overstimulated birthday girl go to the potty. There'd been some resistance to the idea. She was busy! Finally, Andy suggested that she take the new toy she was so involved with to the potty. I couldn't resist taking a picture.





Happy Birthday, Hannah Kay! You delight us everyday and we are so thankful for you!












4 comments:

Polk and Pops said...

That's our little "Cupcake." She's cute as a bug's ear!!! We're so glad she had a fun birthday. We loved all her presents too and plan on playing with her with all the new stuff!! Happy Birthday, Cupcake!!

Grace Halsey said...

What a fun birthday! Your cake looks awesome, too. We have talked about getting a trampoline like that for Benji, so you'll have to let us know if it holds it's appeal. She is such a sweetie & I can't believe she's 3 either!!! I still remember when you emailed me her newborn picture to post on the blog. Happy birthday, Hannah Kay!

Keith said...

She's the spunkiest kid around. Glad she had a great time!

Meagan At Fairly Fabulous said...

Aw- happy birthday sweet girl! LOVE her cake, Laura. AMAZING job on that one. Kennedy will be so jealous of Hannah's new trampoline. She loves bouncing- we even had to bounce all the way to the car after church this past Sunday!