Fall

Saturday, May 14, 2011

The First Saturday in May

There is something poetic about hometowns. For Louisvillians, there is definitely a special place in the heart for Derby Day, the first Saturday in May. This is the day that is classy and dressy and it shows off the culture of our region like no other day of the year. Thoroughbred racehorses are strong and graceful and frankly in Kentucky, there are a lot of them. A trip to Churchill Downs on any other day is a fun diversion, but we've all done it. On Derby Day, the food is fussy and delicious (Bourbon Balls take 3 days to make, for example) and the hats are big and in some cases, obnoxious. But it is what we do and it is a day that just isn't the same anywhere else.

One year in college Andy and I forgot about the hour time difference and I missed seeing the Derby on TV. I'm both proud and embarrassed to admit that I cried. I felt a little bit homesick about it and a little bit like I'd never really be a Kentuckian through and through again. Andy and I were dating seriously at the time and with him I knew I'd eventually make a home in Indiana. In the years since then, this has become home and despite my regular complaints about the weather and the wind, I'm very happy here. But I really do still miss My Olde Kentucky Home during the weeks leading up to Derby Day.

So this year, after a few years of kicking the idea around, we decided to throw a Derby party. I'm SO glad we did! Check out the cool hostess gift my good friend Jent brought!


Everyone jumped right into the spirit. Though Hoosiers, in general, have proven to be much, much more casual than the crowd I grew up with, they do love to have a good time. For weeks ahead of the party my friends and sisters in law were discussing hats and dresses and I just loved every minute of it.




We stood for the playing of My Olde Kentucky Home, the Stephen Foster song that all Kentuckians know by heart. And at the end, Pops dashed off the chorus of Back Home Again, In Indiana just for fun! Mint Juleps were enjoyed by almost all of the adults, some found them a bit too strong but mmm, mmm, Polk and several others sipped with delight.




Check out all of the hats! I love it!



My mother in law, grinning on the couch! She couldn't stand not helping out with the food and because she can't help not helping, she stayed to wash the dishes after everyone left. My wonderful friend, Heather (who doesn't enjoy being photographed) came early and helped mom and I put some finishing touches on the food.



And here are two friends of mine. One who rarely dresses up, Ashley on the left, and one who loves to dress up and even owns a formal wear store, Christa on the right. Don't they look great!?


L-R: Sharon (my Mother in Law), good friends Jennifer (Jent) and Ashley and me.



Polk and Grandma Aggie, eating Derby Pie and drinking Mint Juleps.





Lisa, pictured here with our "paramutal clerk" was placing a bet. She is SO like me, busy with working full time plus a self employed husband and kids at home (except she has four!). When I said I had it all under control she saw right through it and brought a veggie tray.






The betting boards...not quite like the ones at Churchill Downs, but with Keith's suggestions, I did my best.





Abbs is snuggled up with Jent, one of her favorite people, watching the Run for the Roses.




And her best friend, Krista. I loved that the little girls got dressed up, too!





Nieces Hailey and Mckenzie, with the perfect backdrop for a Derby party!




And Mom and I, just before she left. It was Derby Day and the party was so much fun! It felt the most like a Louisville party of any Derby I've spent in several years. It was even more fun than the year we went to the Derby. Since the infield is crowded and expensive, it was great to have fun watching the race at home.


Several have suggested that this become an annual event. It may, but we'll decided one year at a time. I couldn't have hoped for a better turnout and I'm so thankful that Andy appreciates this part of my history. Did I mention that he was the one to say, "We've talked about having a Derby party in the past. This year, let's do it!"

2 comments:

Grace Halsey said...

Great pictures! It looks like it was so much fun and you did a wonderful job as hostess! Grandma Aggie's hat is awesome and the new rug looks really good. A lot of the Derby traditions (dressing up, food, hats, etc.) make Louisville seem like it belongs in the deep south, even though it really is a border state. :)

Keith said...

Good job pulling it all together, and educating those Hoosiers at the same time!