Fall

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Garden of Amateurs





















Since the summer is just about over, I decided to post some of our garden pictures! This was a completely new learning experience for us. Although we didn't inherit green thumbs from our parents (one parent on each side is quite gifted in the garden), and although our yard sees very little sunlight, we thought we'd give it a try. We read about "square foot gardening" online and decided this was our best bet. So, in May (yes, a little late...), Andy built a couple of raised beds to put on our patio. We filled them with the right soil, then planted all kinds of seeds....and later added a few pots. You name it--we tried it. And about half of it didn't really grow enough to produce. But, we were in it to learn and now we know a few things to try differently next year. However, our lettuce was great (started that in March), we've had lots of cucumbers, a dinner's worth of green beans, parsley, and cherry tomatoes. And....a green pepper finally grew! This has been a fun experiment and it has given us a little more understanding and admiration for our northern relatives whose gardens overflow with produce!

2 comments:

Laura Bridges said...

I think your garden was a great success for the very first year! Remember that so much of the garden's success is just luck and we are so fortunate to garden in a spot that is great farm ground. That helps a lot! Our tomatoes were a complete failure this year b/c of the flood but I'll have to post some pics of Abby eating sweet corn & apples. Every year is different, let's see what grows next year :-)

Anonymous said...

I would agree -- that's pretty successful for your first year.

And, I'm glad to see Andy's tool skills have come a long way since the days of his bachelor party!