Fall

Thursday, October 23, 2008

'Tis the Season

It does not seem possible, but last week I started Christmas shopping. We love fall, it is beautiful and crisp and the weekends are filled with fun things to do. But, just around the corner we have Andy's birthday in November, and then mine, Clara's and Andy Halsey's in December, not to mention Thanksgiving and Christmas and Mom's birthday in January. So, I like to start early, earlier than this, actually.

I'm happy to report that I'm finished shopping for Andy's birthday and finished shopping for Dad for Christmas and have gotten Abigail and Hannah each a couple of things. Plus, I already know what we're getting Clara for her birthday. This is a big one, she's going to be 5!

The idea, of course, is that with the shopping done early, we can focus more on the meaning of the season and the fun family time together. Last year I was pregnant and Abigail and I made Christmas cookies. In the process, she dyed all of the icing green and practically coated the entire kitchen in powdered sugar. We also love cutting our own Christmas Tree. This is more Andy's tradition than mine, it involves a long drive in the country and the use of a saw so of course he likes doing it!

Anyway, shopping has begun and I guess it felt like I was turning a corner toward the holidays. Is anyone with me??

1 comment:

Grace Halsey said...

Yep, I've already begun shopping also! I think I'm about 1/3 of the way through, though I know what I'm getting for most everyone else--just haven't bought it yet! My goal is to be done by Thanksgiving. All those birthdays make it extra tricky, not to mention all of the extra Christmas "to do's" (isn't it nice that these last 2 babies are spring birthdays?!) Happy planning and shopping! (We'll have to confer when you get back from Nashville.)