Fall

Friday, May 1, 2009

All Around the House


Spring takes it's sweet time arriving in Indiana, but when it gets here, we don't take the gifts of the season for granted!
Easily one of my favorite parts of country life is the room we have to plant and grow many different plants, flowers, grasses and vegetables. Of course, that leads to managing it all. Andy and I tend to get a little over zealous and then mid summer we look at each other and wonder why we planted SO much! This time of year, it's so easy to see why we get carried away. There is always something new to try and watching the blooms and growth over the rest of the season is addictive! Here's a flowering tree close to the house, I can't remember what the name of it is but it is one of my favorites. The top two pictures I took on a Saturday. The next two are the same tree, exactly a week later. The transformation of the blooms from pink to white is fascinating to me! How does God do that?? There are these tight little pink buds that are so springy and pretty and once they open, snow white, beautiful!

Here's the first week picture of the tree, from a little farther away.
Here are the two later pictures. The white flowers remind me of the apple blossoms that were embroidered on my wedding dress.




Since I've posted no less than four pictures of my favorite tree, I'll spare you a whole bunch of daffodil pictures!

The above picture was taken on Thursday, last week.




These two (above and below) were both taken on Saturday. Bearded Irises in the flower beds around the house. These were transplanted from Andy's mom's perennial bed 7 years ago, they get bigger every year!












And these? Well, across our 4+ acres, we just might have the healthiest crop of these beauties in three counties!

Happy Springtime!





4 comments:

Grace Halsey said...

What pretty pictures! I love seeing how your house and yard have changed over the years. You guys are doing a great job!

Keith said...

Ruthie, if I was an ornery brother, I'd point out that we had flowers like this blooming about 2 months ago,but I won't do that. You've almost become the Shelbyville botanical gardens!!

Laura Bridges said...

Gotta give some credit to the little brother for NOTICING the flowers and realizing what types are blooming! Botanical garden we're not, but it makes a fun hobby that Andy and I share :-)

Anonymous said...

Great, colorful images!

Pops says, "WOW"!

Love, "Pops"!!