Fall

Thursday, September 9, 2010

What I'll Miss About Summer

It's hard to believe how quickly fall is coming to central Indiana this year! This week the mornings have been cool and crisp. All of our many farming friends are busy with an early harvest, thankful that they might also finish early. Fall is always beautiful here, but as summer ends I feel reflective. I just love summer. Hot weather is my thing, staying outside all day without worrying if everyone has enough layers on, swimming, hiking, playing with the horses until 9pm because the sun hasn't gone down yet. Andy and I love to have a camp fire in the back yard and look up at the stars. Because I work in an office building, where summer is always my busiest time, I always feel a little shortchanged. Many hours of my summer are spent in air conditioning, which I do not prefer. Bring on the fresh air, I say! Well, I say that until the humidity becomes just too much.

Before we officially move on into autumn, this post is my reflection on some of the small and wonderful things that I will miss about summer.


Pony Rides! We'll certainly keep riding into the fall and winter, but everything is easier in the summer. Our fall plans are to hike the fields and woods behind our house, while the girls follow us on Champ. All we have to wait for is the fields to be harvested...it won't be long!

Wagon rides, always a favorite with our girls.


Canning is a lot of work, completely worth the effort though. This year's harvest wasn't near what we usually put up for the winter, mainly because of a very wet June and then ridiculously dry July and August. As always, we'll try again next year!



Oh, sights like this that just make me smile. Our girls are anxiously awaiting a pony ride and they have dressed themselves. Boots with shorts? Okay, I'll admit I've ridden in that before. Not perfect but it is doable. Boots with a ballet tutu??? Only Hannah. She definitely rode that way, too.



These beautiful Disappearing Lillies came from our grandmother (Dobbie's) yard. I look forward to their brief appearance every year and always feel so sentimental when they bloom. How fortunate I am to have a living reminder of someone who is waiting for us in Heaven.



Flip flops! Can't beat 'em for ease in dressing the kids. Comfy and cute and so cheap they're basically disposable.


Gator rides!




These beauties, smiling at us from the garden. Totally volunteer this year, too! Right where our asparagus was supposed to come up. Hmm, hope that little spacing conflict works itself out next year.


Porch naps are the best, especially for a girl who thinks she doesn't need a nap anymore.


The clothesline that Andy built for me. Admittedly, I don't use it enough (only on the weekends) and can continue to use it into the fall some. Still, there's nothing like the wind, whipping across our yard in the summer. Dries the clothes quickly and they all look like they've been ironed...bonus!


Little people sporting shades. Nothing cuter!


Most of all, our porch time. The greatest place I've found for unwinding at the end of the day. On it, we have wicker furniture that was handed down from Dobbie and Andy's great aunt Evelyn. The porch is just a place we all love.



I've gotten much more accustomed to our Indiana snow and cold, so much different from winters growing up in Louisville. The winter days always have some special fun that includes snow and of course, Christmas. There are plenty of cozy days at home. But I'd be lying if I said I don't wish for summer from right around late November until late May when it's finally consistently warm. Now, you know some of the reasons why!

5 comments:

Keith said...

All I can say is that is a slice of Americana. That read like it was out of a visitor's bureau brochure or magazine. Nice job, Ruthie.

Polk said...

Well, first I have to say Bonnet is carrying my "Americana" comment too far!!! The pictures are adorable,but look at the subjects you have to photograph!!! Such a nice entry.

Pops said...

The images are adorable of the girls. Wow what neat pics of some terrific gals. Love, Pops

Grace Halsey said...

Great post! I love the boots & tutu picture! Lots of nice memories of the summer and I'm sure you'll have plenty for the fall as well.

Megan said...

Okay, I seriously love your camera. I mean, I know that the photographer is good and the subjects are even better, but seriously? Those are great pics. The one of Abbs and Hannah from behind with the boots and tutu is a classic. That looks like one that should be put up on the wall in black and white. Awesome!!!