These came from Andy's mom's yard and I have hot pink and some pale pink, too. This white one was particularly stunning though.
In July I've become quite attached to having sunflowers in the garden.

And these Plantation Lillies are spreading in my perennial beds almost faster than I can believe. Early next spring they will have to be split and moved, along with several very large Hostas. After 8 years, the perennials that were small starts when we moved in are now thriving, large plants.

Gladiolas (and Dahlias) are very high on my list of favorites, but they are high maintenance. Each fall the bulbs have to be lifted before the danger of frost. This makes them undesirable for a working mother of two! Some day I'll hav row after row of them, but not right now.

A new addition this year, for it's visual appeal from a distance. This Hibiscus has blooms that are easily 6 inches across. I must get a couple more next spring!

Let's pause for a moment to reflect on Abigail's 5th birthday party, which she chose a flower theme for. Does anyone wonder why? She follows me around the yard, loving to help rake and weed. With her little gator to drive, she's really helpful at dumping my weeds in the woods.

Another new addition this year, I'm a little late to the Knockout Rose party. They're everywhere in the past couple of years, but we now have one. This little plant didn't go all out this year but did prove to be very drought hardy.

Disappearing Lillies, mentioned in a previous post, from my maternal grandmother's yard. Passed down by mom to me. I planted these on the day that Dobbie died. They are so special to me.

After a colorful and fragrant growing season, the grand finale wraps up the summer. Sweet Autumn Clematis climbs up our porch posts in a vibrant green vine all summer long. It thrives in most any weather and the three vines are around 8 feet tall and up to four feet wide in some places. When the blooms finally come they are petite white flowers with the most fragrant scent of the whole summer. It lasts about two weeks (unless there is an especially early frost) and the scent covers our porch the whole time. Warm afternoons make it smell even better!
In the foreground of this picture is a rosebush that Andy's older sister gave us for a housewarming gift.

This past week Andy tilled up the vegetable garden and I began cleaning out flower beds for the fall. The last bloomers and the green foliage will be around for awhile but with so much to clean up for the year, it's best to start early and (try to ) stay caught up. It's kind of refreshing to 'but the yard to bed' each fall because it creates a clean slate. And reminds me of all of the pretty flowers to look forward to next year!
And these Plantation Lillies are spreading in my perennial beds almost faster than I can believe. Early next spring they will have to be split and moved, along with several very large Hostas. After 8 years, the perennials that were small starts when we moved in are now thriving, large plants.
Gladiolas (and Dahlias) are very high on my list of favorites, but they are high maintenance. Each fall the bulbs have to be lifted before the danger of frost. This makes them undesirable for a working mother of two! Some day I'll hav row after row of them, but not right now.
A new addition this year, for it's visual appeal from a distance. This Hibiscus has blooms that are easily 6 inches across. I must get a couple more next spring!
Let's pause for a moment to reflect on Abigail's 5th birthday party, which she chose a flower theme for. Does anyone wonder why? She follows me around the yard, loving to help rake and weed. With her little gator to drive, she's really helpful at dumping my weeds in the woods.
Another new addition this year, I'm a little late to the Knockout Rose party. They're everywhere in the past couple of years, but we now have one. This little plant didn't go all out this year but did prove to be very drought hardy.
Disappearing Lillies, mentioned in a previous post, from my maternal grandmother's yard. Passed down by mom to me. I planted these on the day that Dobbie died. They are so special to me.
After a colorful and fragrant growing season, the grand finale wraps up the summer. Sweet Autumn Clematis climbs up our porch posts in a vibrant green vine all summer long. It thrives in most any weather and the three vines are around 8 feet tall and up to four feet wide in some places. When the blooms finally come they are petite white flowers with the most fragrant scent of the whole summer. It lasts about two weeks (unless there is an especially early frost) and the scent covers our porch the whole time. Warm afternoons make it smell even better!
In the foreground of this picture is a rosebush that Andy's older sister gave us for a housewarming gift.
This past week Andy tilled up the vegetable garden and I began cleaning out flower beds for the fall. The last bloomers and the green foliage will be around for awhile but with so much to clean up for the year, it's best to start early and (try to ) stay caught up. It's kind of refreshing to 'but the yard to bed' each fall because it creates a clean slate. And reminds me of all of the pretty flowers to look forward to next year!
5 comments:
So beautiful! I love that your yard looks different every time we visit and each flower has a story.
Dobbie and Grummie would be so proud!!Ane I am too!
Laura, you were born to blog...or to garden...or photograph...or write...
What kind of camera do you use? The colors are amazing (and, being color-blind, I don't get to say that too often).
Awesome pics! And your house is beautiful and you and Andy both make it a great HOME for the girls!
If I didn't know better, I'd think this is a tryout for Indiana Illustrated. If that whole managing an endowment doesn't work out, you could drive around and take flower pictures.
Post a Comment