Fall

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Creative Clara

Our Chickpea continues to delight our days and we never know what she'll come up with next! She is growing up fast and becoming a big girl overnight, it seems. She still enjoys dance class with her friends every Tuesday and is excited to be part of the church youth that meets each Wednesday night and a special weekend fun night each month. A few weeks ago, she went on her first overnight away from home to help her best friend, Denver, celebrate her 8th birthday.

Here are some snapshots of what she has been up to lately. Dolls are still a very favorite part of her day. Her babies are like family members and she is such a good mama!

Talking it over with Bella, Catherine and Sally

Since starting violin lessons last September, Clara is about 2/3 of the way through Suzuki Book 1 and practices almost everyday. She has several favorite songs and doesn't seem daunted when Mr. Bell keeps giving her new ones to learn, though she's figuring out that it takes hard work to play well.
Our violinist obviously not paying attention to the maestro conducting
behind her, even though he's on his podium and everything!


Last fall, the ladies at our church brought their sewing machines to the fellowship hall to have an afternoon of creating little dresses for Africa. Clara and I went along to help, although my sewing skills are basically nonexistent. However, this was enough for her to get bit by the sewing bug! I thought it was a good interest for her, so after receiving a sewing machine for Christmas, we got started! Okay, Mom, brace yourself....



Since I couldn't let Clara do it all by herself yet, she decided to make her own sewing machine to play with while I worked on our creation. This is what she came up with all by herself!

She even threaded her needle and has since added a foot pedal!


And here's the finished product....a Tinkerbell tote bag!


What little girl doesn't like tea parties? Here she is a day or two after Valentine's Day when she cashed in the coupon I gave her for a tea party on real china (wearing a dance costume).



Modeling her own version of dangly earrings
(with clear string that hooks over the ears)


Sweet silliness

3 comments:

Polk said...

What a nice post! If you were close enough I would give you both sewing lessons. I am helping the 4th grade girls I volunteer with make purses. Hang in there. If you can read, you can sew!! Nice going on the violin too.

Gramma xoxo said...

What an amazing Clara! No wonder you have so many friends. You are so much fun!!!

Laura Bridges said...

I wonder if Benjamin will learn to hum/sing her music along with her, just like Keith did to you when we were kids! Cute pictures and Clara's creativity never ceases to amaze me, especially that sewing machine!