Fall

Friday, September 2, 2011

Another Edition of Entertaining Things Kids Say

Happy Friday!! This long weekend is exactly what our household needs, it's been a great start to the school year but we are going to relish an extra day to sleep in! This weekend I plan to post about Hannah's very successful first day of preschool for the year but for right now, a post has been brewing a little more each day, of the funny and cute comments the girls make now and then.

Here we go!

Abigail helps me in the kitchen these days more often than not. She has used all of the salt and somehow two sets of salt and pepper shakers are either missing or not working (rusted lids) from pretend cooking in her play house. Still, she can be very helpful and is now able to make a brownie mix all by herself, with just a little direction on how much oil and water to add. Last week I decided to use up the abundance of jalapeno peppers from our garden by stuffing them for a family birthday party. They turned out great but in the process of de-seeding them I was sneezing and blowing my nose (not on the peppers, promise!) and generally wondering if I would ever do this again! Abigail was in charge of chopping off the top of each pepper, a safe job because it didn't involve seeds (the source of the heat) at all. She got through it with a smile and wanted to know what to do next. As I was wiping my nose and probably looking fairly incompetent as a cook, she smiled at me and asked, "Mama, what would you do if you didn't have me to help you in the kitchen?"

Hannah is constantly telling stories. Some are true and others are totally made up. Her imagination is so colorful and her stories range from sweet memories of her birthdays "when she was a baby" to times when she was in "big, bad" trouble. A couple of days ago she was in the sandbox and casually told me that Aunt Kristi's sister had broken her arm and Hannah was very sad for her over it all. That was actually a version of what actually happened, to Kristi's mom, who broke her shoulder.

Abigail's answer to every request I make for her to pick up her room, put something away, feed the cats, etc. lately is "Are you kidding? I'm six years old!" Apparently it's all so beneath her now! Don't worry, we're addressing the attitude. It's interesting though, to see her really develop a sense of independence all of a sudden.

The dogs, cats and horses are a big part of what goes on at our house. A couple of weeks ago, Andy noticed a new cat hanging around the house. Let me take a moment to remind you all that Andy doesn't like cats and has resisted them every step of the way. He does now admit that our two cats are alright, he just doesn't like any other cats. So, he felt sorry for the poor gray and white wanderer and decided to feed him. You can see where this is going, I'm sure! We no longer have two cats, we now have three. Abigail and Hannah are watching over the situation carefully to be sure that "the girls," i.e. Biscuits and Gravy are nice enough to our new cat, who they have named Henry.

I never knew that birth order was such a difficult concept but it's true that young children really don't believe the world turned 'round before they were born. In the past the girls have asked me where they were at our wedding! Lately, Hannah has a tough time realizing that Abigail was around when Hannah was born, but not vice versa. She insists that when Abigail was born, SHE was the big sister. Oh, and she wants a baby brother. Apparently she believes you can just place an order for that kind of thing!

Abigail has been very cognizant of my Diabetes in the past several months. We talk a lot about eating healthy food at our house, not just for me, but for all of us. She understands that I don't drink the Cokes in the red can because of the sugar in them and she tries not to offer me candy because she knows I don't eat much of it. The other day at the store she saw the premade Rice Krispie treats and told me she wouldn't ask to get them because they have lots of sugar and it wouldn't be nice to have them around since I can't eat them. I was so proud of her and so sad that she is worrying about my well being, all at the same time.

Finally, the girls are both very aware of Daddy's work. This week at school Abbs told some kids that her dad does concrete and if their sidewalks are broken, he can fix 'em!

Looking forward to a long weekend with my girls!

2 comments:

Polk said...

I don't know why it comes up so often, but any tummy ache, bathroom problem or illness of any sort is immediately diagnosed by Hannah as "dia-rita". I have so much trouble keeping a straight face and her feelings are so hurt if I question her diagnosis. These are great memories. I'm so glad you're recording them!

Grace Halsey said...

They both seem to be "on" all the time! Thanks for sharing some of the gems!