Fall

Monday, July 4, 2011

"Dessert Girls"

This summer, Discover Downtown Franklin hosted a Kansas City BBQ sanctioned barbeque contest called Smoke on the Square. Cute name, fun idea, so Mom and her little sous chef, Abigail, decided to enter the dessert contest. They had fun coming up with a recipe that Abigail could basically make on her own. Then, Pops named their team and Polk and I collaborated on cute paper goods, hoping to score extra points for presentation!

Here are the "Dessert Girls" with their rich and delicious chess bars:



Hannah didn't do anything to help with the entry, but she enthusiastically offered to be in a picture or two.






The treats were yummy but unfortunately, the contest was kind of a flop. There were apparently entrants from multiple states (who knew?) and the top ten included several gourmet restaurants! We sat in shock as we listened to the names being read. Seriously, organizers? A retired teacher and her five year old granddaughter made some darn good desserts, but it's safe to say we had no idea what this would be like.





In the end, there was not a bit of shade on the square, it was really hot and the organizers were running behind schedule. In a stroke of good fortune, the dessert awards were announced first and then we hit the road! The BBQ teams were wearing matching t-shirts and clearly travel far and wide for these contests...again, who knew?! Anyway, we headed off to the end of season t-ball cookout and only wished the judges hadn't gobbled up every last chess bar since they didn't even win! Oh well, I know the bakers and I bet they'll whip up another batch if I ask nicely!


2 comments:

Grace Halsey said...

They look so yummy & cute! The girls look cute, as usual, and Polk is looking quite skinny! I guess she let her helper do the taste testing. Sorry it didn't work out as a win, but as you said, I think there are an awful lot of grateful mouths around the Bridges farm and extended family for any future culinary endeavors.

Polk said...

When I saw how great our chess bars looked in your pictures I was reminded that we really did do a great job!! Yes, we'll have to make them again soon!