Since Molly was at 7818, I've always wanted another Bassethound. I liked the seemingly low maintenance nature, and of course their trademark big ears and big paws.
Well, after much discussion, yet little research, we found an AJC classified listing for a litter of puppies where we eventually met Earl. (Despite several inquiries, there isn't a big background story to his name. I simply thought Earl is a funny and appropriate name for a Basset.)
So we met Earl in Lilburn, Ga., in metro Atlanta, about an hour and a half west of Athens. He had five brothers and sisters, but he was the one who lounged in our laps the most. The other two puppies available were either too feisty, or didn't look as much like a Basset. (Shorter ears, etc.)
He's done well in the crate so far. He's had some accidents in the house, but has done better than I expected going outside.
He's 16.2 pounds, and had a successful first trip to the vet this morning. One of the two vaccinations burned his shoulder pretty good, but he took two naps to work it out.
He has several toys, but as Kristi said, like babies, his favorite so far is an empty Mountain Dew bottle.





2 comments:
My, what big ears you have! Welcome to the family, Earl. Just out of curiosity I looked up Basset Hound on Wikipedia. Earl, I'm really not picking on you, but I did think this quote was funny enough to pass on:
The name Basset is derived from the French word bas, meaning "low", with the attenuating suffix -et, together meaning "rather low."
Looks like you're having plenty of fun down there!
The girls loved skyping with Earl last night! He was so calm and laid back, I'm glad to see his puppy playfulness in the 2nd video. He's a cutie, you all will have lots of fun with him!
Andy, that is hilarious and I've never heard it before. Sadly, I'm responsible for telling Dad that the Basset's nose is 2nd only in strength to the bloodhound, which we've all heard repeated 5,239 times.
Post a Comment